The Next Generation Programme offers ambitious and talented councillors an unparalleled political development opportunity – uniquely developed for members of the LGA Independent Group. The Programme equips emerging political leaders with the skills and confidence to be bold champions of local government and progress in their political careers.
The Next Generation Programme offers ambitious and talented councillors an unparalleled political development opportunity. Next Generation is our flagship programme, uniquely developed for Independents, Greens and smaller party councillors.
Applications will be opening shortly for our 2021/22 cohort.
Next Gen exceeded my expectations - it has helped me to focus my mind on how to serve my constituents better and more effectively".
Cllr David Beaman (Independent, Waverley)
The course takes place over three weekends at Warwick University where social distancing measures will be in place. In the case of a local coronavirus outbreak, remote options will be made available.
For me, the Next Generation Programme was a life-changing experience. I learnt about how different people approach situations in different ways and the skills needed to enable collaborative working. I would encourage anyone involved in local government to seize this opportunity to develop and grow."
Cllr Debbie Andre (Independent, Isle of Wight)
Next Generation aims to support and encourage councillors to be bold and confident political leaders, progress in your political aspirations and be champions of local government. Those who have completed the LGA Independent Group Next Generation Programme leave feeling more aware of how their councils works, more confident and more effective as a community leader. Many have gone on to successfully hold leadership positions, including cabinet roles, and LGA Board places.
Modules focus on three key areas:
- personal leadership
- political leadership
- communication and media skills
Being a Councillor and Cabinet Member is a demanding role, and so taking part in the Next Generation programme has been invaluable in giving me increased confidence and sharpened skills. I'd highly recommend it to any Councillor who wants to better serve their council and community."
Cllr Neil Prior (Independent, Pembrokeshire)
The programme will support members to:
- increase in confidence and effectiveness as a leader and communicator.
- increase awareness and understanding of different styles and approaches to political leadership.
- define their ‘vision' for their council / ward / group.
- learn more about their own personal strengths and weaknesses as a community and political leader.
- increase understanding of the practical strategies to policy making and best practice.
I got such a lot out of the Next Generation Programme - it was a chance to look at the big picture and how we can do our jobs better. I improved my skills, gained a deeper understanding of how councils work, and had met a great bunch of people too!"
Cllr Geraldine Coggins (Green, Trafford)
Next Generation delegates will:
- attend residential modules throughout the year with a competitively selected cohort of peers.
- meet LGA Independent Group councillors from across the country and form a lasting network of peers
- be introduced to exemplar approaches to local government leadership.
- have the opportunity to raise their profile at a local and national level.
Next Generation offered me time outside the day-to-day work of being an active councillor to reflect, to share and discuss and learn from others. I didn’t want it to end and I’ve made some lasting connections. Thank you Independent Group."
Cllr Johnny Denis (Green, Lewes)
For further information please contact Sarah Woodhouse in the Group Office on 0207 664 3206 / firstname.lastname@example.org