Part of our support is sharing good practice. Here you’ll find a range of resources on the issues that matter most to our members.
For campaign resources please visit our Campaign Corner.
Factsheet: Welcome to the LGA Independent Group: This factsheet provides an introduction to the support provided by the LGA Independent Group
Fact sheet: Vision Setting: A vision statement is one of the many ways to aid a connection between councils and their constituents.
Draft Memorandum of Understanding Template: Many councils are forming alliances for a joint administration at the moment, this handy template will help you set the terms of the Memorandum of Understanding between Groups/Parties.
Factsheet: Time Management: This useful factsheet provides members with some top tips for juggling the many demands on your time.
Factsheet: Social Media: Social Media is a useful tool for all members to use, but there are pitfalls if not used correctly. This factsheet summarises some top tips for using Facebook or Twitter to engage with your residents.
Councillor workbooks: The LGA has produced a number of distance learning materials, covering key topics such as action on climate change, chairing skills, finance, planning, scrutiny and community safety.
External Report: Declaring a Climate Change Emergency : Arup, an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, architects, consultants and technical specialists, have published guidance for local authorities who have declared a climate emergency.
Thinking of putting forward a motion to your council? Independent Group members have shared some of their council motions with the group – get in touch if you are interested in seeing what people have shared or sharing some of your own.
- 25/09/2019 – Lewes District Council – Mental Health Challenge
- Caerphilly County Borough Council – Review of Street Lighting
- 2020 – Brighton and Hove Green Party Budget Proposals
- 01/02/2018 – Ashfield District Council – Empty Dwelling Management Orders
- 20/02/20 South Oxfordshire District Council - Five- year housing land supply rules in the National Planning Policy Framework
- 24/09/19 Norwich City Council – Biodiversity Emergency
- 18/09/19 Arun District Council – Independent Group – Climate change and the implications for large scale development on the coastal plain
- 23/07/19 Norwich City Council – Plastic Free July
- 11/07/2019 – North Kesteven – United Nation’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals