We are the national voice of local government, working with councils to support, promote and improve
LGA responds to ALARM survey on the state of local roads
Hospital admissions due to falls by older people set to reach nearly 1,000 a day
Check in on your vulnerable during the big freeze
Faisals test page
“Careful and efficient management of our roads by councils has seen some progress being made into tackling the backlog of road repairs. However, increasing traffic levels, and more cars on our roads, together with continuing extreme winter weather conditions means that government needs to keep funding of local roads as a priority in its spending plans.
LGA responds to Gambling Commission report on FOBTS
Cllr Simon Blackburn, Chair of the Local Government Association’s Safer and Stronger Communities Board, responds to the Gambling Commission’s report on Fixed Odds Betting Terminals.
LGA response to Major Road Network proposal - 19 March 2018
The LGA has called for a fairer balance in the way Government treats and funds the Strategic Roads Network (SRN), which makes up less than 3 per cent of the country’s road network, compared to the local roads network, which makes the remaining 97 per cent.
The worrying forecast has prompted renewed calls by council leaders for more funding for adult social care to invest in cost-effective prevention work to reduce falls, which can have devastating and life-threatening consequences on a person’s health and wellbeing.
LGA Briefing National Audit Office report into the financial sustainability of local authorities
We have repeatedly warned of the serious consequences of funding pressures facing local services from unprecedented funding reductions since 2010 and growing demand for services.
LGA responds to Independent Age report on quality of care homes
'The stark reality is that the quality and choice of care homes will likely get worse, unless immediate action is taken to tackle social care underfunding and implement long-term reform of the sector.'
Supporting councils to improve revenue collection with behavioural insights
A set of practical recommendations to assist local authorities with increasing their revenue collection.
LGA responds to iMPOWER report on adult social care funding
"When the £2 billion for adult social care was announced by the Government in last year’s Spring Budget, it said this could be spent in three ways – meeting adult social care needs, reducing pressures on the NHS, and ensuring the local provider market was supported."
Annual fire conference and exhibition - 13-14 March 2018 - Hilton Hotel, Newcastle Gateshead
LGA responds to the Government Integration Strategy
Cllr Simon Blackburn, Chair of the Local Government Association’s Safer and Stronger Communities Board responds to the publication of the Government’s Integration Strategy.
LGA responds to Spring Statement 2018
Only with the right funding and powers can councils continue to make a difference to people’s lives by building desperately-needed homes, creating jobs and school places, filling potholes, maintaining parks and green spaces, running children’s centres, leisure centres and libraries, caring for elderly and disabled people and protecting children.
Bus passenger journeys fall again, reaching lowest level in a decade
The amount of people using buses in England each year has fallen to its lowest level in a decade – down to 4.38 billion passenger journeys across the country in 2016/17.
Great people for growing places: a consultation on the strategy for the local government workforce
Proposals for phase one of the LGA's refreshed approach to the national strategic workforce priorities in local government.
'first' is LGA's membership magazine received by 18,000 councillors and 400 chief executives monthly.
Our e-bulletins are designed to give you relevant, timely information about the areas that matter to you. From daily news headlines to the latest on what's happening in adult social care, there is an e-bulletin for you.
Local government is already the most efficient, transparent and trusted part of the public sector. In this time of austerity, we will also need to be even more ambitious when it comes to reshaping services in the future.